Thursday, May 5, 2011

My sick little guy

In Utah over winter they had a lot of kids getting RSV, so when Colby was getting sick and he was having trouble breathing, I got nervous and took him in. Luckily he didn't have RSV, but he was one sick little guy. The doctor prescribed him some medication, but also breathing treatments. I am pretty familiar with these since I grew up with asthma, however it's a whole new experience when your child is the one doing the treatments. Before we started the treatment he didn't mind the mask being on his face because it was a dinosaur mask, but the first time we did do the treatment, it took my parents and myself to hold him down and do the treatment. When we got home he would also cry through the treatments. To try and calm him down my Dad also put on a mask so that he wouldn't be too scared.
Then we got smart and turned on Mickey Mouse while we gave him the treatment, which helped a lot, because he mostly focused on the show rather than the mask and the loud noise the machine made!
Not only did Colby have Papa helping him feel comfortable by putting on a mask, but when Arie came to visit she wanted to join in so she used a cup as her mask!
Then we made it to the other side of the spectrum...during one of his last treatments I looked down about half-way through and he was asleep.
I am so glad that he is doing better and we don't have to do treatments on a regular basis! I hate it when he is sick, but I did love that he loved to cuddle with me more...but I love seeing him run around having fun and smiling more!

1 comment:

Diedra Mahaffey said...

oh man.. that first picture & his little eyes just look sooooo sick! Glad he made it thru... glad you were here! love you both! nana